Friday, September 15, 2006

-Hack- Verizon Treo Bluetooth Modem

I did something really cool with my Verizon Treo 650 the other day. I got it to work as a Bluetooth modem for my PowerBook. I already pay the $40/mo. for unlimited data service through Verizon’s 1x network, but up to now I have only been able to use it for browsing the web on my Treo, and access to email (which is why I bought the package in the first place). Now, I can access the internet on my laptop anywhere that I have cell service! It is a feature that Verizon has locked out of the Treo, but thanks to a really cool site, I was able to hack it, turn the service on, and configure the PowerBook to use it. It is not really fast, about as speedy as a 56k modem, but it is enough for internet browsing, email, and IM. The best part is that I am doing something that Verizon does not want me to do, and am un-crippling a really great feature in this phone. The other feature that I would like to have, but again Verizon crippled, is to be able to use a wifi card in it. The phone has the slot, but it can’t use it, and thus far nobody has been able to get it to work. And another nice feature that is locked out it the ability to browse the phone, and transfer files to and from the phone to the laptop. I hate it when I know the ability is there, but somebody decided to not let me use it.

No comments: