Friday, September 15, 2006

32,000 Feet

Well, I got to the airport in the perfect amount of time. I got there about 45 minutes before my flight, and since I checked in online I just went to security (I also only have carryon luggage, no bags checked). The lady manning the metal detector did a woeful job of security. She asked for my boarding pass, and I gave it to her as I walked through the device, she then proceeded to look down at the pass as I walked through the detector, and didn’t even glance up to look at the display to see how much metal I had on me. She wasn’t paying attention to the noises being played by the detector, because it beeped as I walked through, but she was too busy unfolding the paper, and turning it over to care that I made the thing beep. Homeland Insecurity!

Oh well, I’m on the plane right now at 30,000 feet, and waiting for my drink to come around. It is not even 9AM, but they are serving beers on this flight! Wow, you must be in pretty bad shape to need a drink this early in the day. They now have XM Satellite radio on the planes now, and it really kills any conversation with people that ordinarily would occur. That was always one of the cool things about flying was the people you got to meet on the flight. I have had some really good conversations on planes before, but now everybody just puts on the headphones on, and ignores everybody else.

I always ride coach. I figure airline travel is a luxury enough, and I should be happy to be able to afford a ticket, and the extra five inches is just a waste of $50. It would be a little nicer for the sake of this laptop, because I don’t have a lot of room to fit this thing on the little tray in front of me.

I got a TXT message from Takeshi in Japan when I landed in Atlanta. I have been so bad about writing him back this year, but he continues to write me. That is really cool of him, and I want to keep in touch with him. He, and his wife Mie, are really cool, and they always send up Christmas cards, but we never remember to send them one. I feel really bad about that. I am planning to send him a postcard from Dallas with something on it that has the Old West on it. From what I understand, cowboys are really cool in Japan (but I could be dead wrong about that).

I really should be getting the Akron U proposal together on this flight. I have stuff written down at the office, and I intended to bring it along with me to put into a nice proposal letter, but I must have forgotten it on my desk, because I can’t find it anywhere in my stuff. I am going to have to redo it by memory. I will be able to work at the Dallas office, and have internet access there, as well as have access to printers and stuff.


Wow, this battery does not last too long! In the time it took me to write this post, my battery life is down to 57%! I did a few other things, but nothing that took me longer than 5 minutes. I think that I need a new battery, and thankfully, Apple has a recall on this one, so I think that I’ll take them up on the offer. This battery used to last about 2.5 hours, but now it is like 1.5.

Oh well, time to work on the Akron U proposal...

No comments: