Saturday, December 16, 2006

One of the worst parts about being a motorcyclist

So I rode my st1100 to work yesterday. It was going to be about 50* and sunny, and I just couldn't resist anymore since I know those days will be hard to come by in the next couple of months. The ride was a bit cold, and my hair looked like a disaster on all my appointments, but people generally think its cool to have a sales guy ride his bike for a meeting.

So you may be asking "What is the bad part you mentioned, James?"

Here's how it goes:

Them: Wow, nice motorcycle!

Me: Thanks! I love riding it. (At this time, I'm zipping up my armored Aerostitch riding suit, and buckling my helmet.

Them: Yeah, I could never ride one though.

Me: Oh, really? (Thinking, here we go again....)

Them: Yeah, I had a friend (or uncle, brother, cousin, aunt, aquaintence, or somebody) that had a bike, and he got in a really bad accident. He got cut off (of course it is NEVER the rider's fault in these stories) by a cement truck and ran into the back of it. That broke his ribs and punctured his lung. Then he was thrown off a cliff by the car behind him. Then a semi-truck ran over both his legs and arms. Then a ninja jumped out of the bushes and broke his nose.

Me: (thinking, "Is this thing almost over?")

Them: So my friend (or whoever) is stuck in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, and has to eat through a tube. (Or they tell you how they ended up dying a gruesome death).

Me: Thats too bad.

Them: Now the entire family hates motorcycles. Have a safe ride, James!

Me: Thanks..... (as I hop on my bike and think "What an idiot")


So, why is it that people feel so compelled to tell you these horrible crash stories when they see you have a bike? Do they think you'll appreciate them for it? Do they think you really want to hear it? When people see somebody climbing into a pickup truck, why don't they run over there and tell the person how their brother got in an accident in his pickup truck, and ended up dead?

No comments: