Saturday, February 10, 2007

Don't bother to pay for Internet access in the Meadows!

The Meadows is the neighborhood that I live in.

Last night on the way home from work, I decided to do a little WarDriving. WarDriving is when you take a laptop running WiFi stumbling software to find WiFi hotspots and see if they are secure or not. Well, if you look at the attached screenshot of the stumbler, most of the WiFi access points I found were running no security at all. Shazam! is my access point and notice that WEP is on in my house.

If people only understood how easily it is for somebody to browse their local networks, and to use a password cracking piece of software to gain access to their local files, people wouldn't be so ignorantly putting a signal out there with no security running.

You should see the WarDriving list I got from driving on Rt.18 from Akron to Fairlawn!

No comments: